My Cart

Example Topic

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Svetli91 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

SacredMovement
    Keymaster

Here is the discussion regarding the topic

Svetli91
    Participant

(Awaiting moderation)

Cynthia
    Keymaster

Hello! Can you please give me an example of the pronunciation of this vowel? Is it like either one of the vowels in the word “Example?’
    Thank you!

Svetli91
    Participant

Greetlings, Swetli,

Once again, thanks for your question! Let me say a bit about vowels in general. We always begin our journey with the 5 major (pure) vowels, Ah, Ā, Ē, Ō, Ū (in German, AEIOU). These are pure archetypal sounds, and pure archetypal soul experiences (wonder, boundaries, uprightness, holding, focussed contracting).

From there we can understand how to FEEL the other vowels. These include dipthongs, which are vowel combinations like au, ei, etc. Then there are also what we call the “short vowels” in English, and that is the sound that you are describing. It belongs to the family of sounds that come from the sound “ah”, denoting wonder and openess. This sound, however, is not full-hearted openness, but rather a restrained openness. It could be a feeling of shyness, or of tiredness, or privacy. There are many variations on this experience, like the sound in the word “God,” or “love.” (We say it differently in different parts of the States, and differently from the Brits.)  Our research is always to discover just HOW BIG we are saying it, and how wide we open are arms with it. The muscle tension will be weaker than with the big AH, the angle will be narrower, and the arms not as far extended. If it is done with a “glottal stop,” then there will even be a little “push” with it.

A beginner eurythmist won’t know how to find these subtleties, but an experienced eurythmist can sense the unique energy of each sound and discover how to move it, even as Rudolf Steiner did.

Best,

Cynthia

Hello,
    tank you for the attention!
    It’s the first sound of the word “of” or the second sound of the word “the”.

Svetli :)

Svetli91
    Participant

Hello Cynthia,

Thak you for your answer!
    Yes, A means oppening to the world. In Curative eurythmy we also read the following:

“Before we consider the consonants individually, let us contemplate the following. Yesterday we were able to show that A — which we also studied in its metamorphosis — has to do with all those forces in man that make him greedy, which organize him according to animal nature: the A in fact lies nearest to the animal nature in man, and in a certain sense one can say that when the A is pronounced it sounds out of the animality of man. And certainly as spiritual investigation confirms A is the sound which was the very earliest to appear in the course of both the phylogenetic evolution as well as the ontogenetic evolution of man. In ontogenetic evolution it is somewhat hidden of course; there is a false evolution as well, as you know. The A was the first sound to appear in the evolution of mankind, however, resounding to begin with entirely out of the animal nature. And when we tend towards A with the consonants, we are still calling on what are animal forces in man. As you could see yesterday, the whole sound is actually formed accordingly. If we use the sound therapeutically in the manner in which it presented itself to our souls yesterday we can combat that which makes children, and grown-ups too, into smaller and larger animals. With such exercises we can have very respectable results in the de-animalization of man.”

I thik that those are just different looks at the same thing. Is it not, that the opening to the world happens with the animal kingdom. When it begins to experience the world consciously, dreamingly.

That also is expressed in the ontogenetic development of the plant and the animal. The plant embryo doesn’t go further than the blastula which is a sphere closed in itself. In the animal kingdom on the other hand the blastla invaginates and becomes gastrula. The animal opens to the world and in that way “It beholds the world, it beholds the world in itself”. Of course humans do that much more consciously.

https://classconnection.s3.amazonaws.com/863/flashcards/1414863/jpg/gastrulation1335505116405.jpg

And now we come to my question about the sound Ъ. Steiner says that the predominance of a sound in the speech of some poeples is expressed even externally.Like when the O sound predominates, the pepole will prone to obesity and so on. A research shows that one of the common used sounds in the bulgarian speech is the A sound. But we have this phenomenon that in many of our words the A transforms in Ъ, not only vocally but also in the writting of this word. I try to understand what does that mean. Because I think that in this way we are trying to battle with the animal nature in us.

Sorry if I’m mistaken, I’m just trying to understand it. We don’t have eurythmists in Bulgaria.

Swetli :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Trackback from your site.