Error: Only up to 6 widgets are supported in this layout. If you need more add your own layout.

Why does a human need to know this?

Eurythmy Online Forums Anthroposophical Studies Why does a human need to know this?

• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Larry.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      william
      Participant

I am not sure how to phrase this question, I guess I am looking for context.

Why does a human need to know this “creation story?
      Whats its place in helping the human develop?
      Do we really need to struggle to understand Rudolf Steiner’s version of the story?

Melangell
      Participant

I find it amusing that my husband asked me the very same question two days ago. And I had the same question about 20 years ago when I first started Foundation Studies. At the time the whole thing seemed arcane and incomprehensible, frankly, dry and lifeless. But Cynthia is drawing me in with her storytelling, and I am becoming so excited by the story. It is like beautiful poetry washing over me and penetrating into my soul. Apparently, for me this is the right time to bring it in. This is perhaps not an answer to the question, but rather my own testimony. I am getting close to the end of my own sojourn on the Earth, this time around. I don’t know how my life would have been different if I had come to this place earlier. But now I am just grateful to be here!

danieljmiller
      Participant

I could justify studying Rudolf Steiner by quoting him, but far better to struggle to express my own experience. In a word, I would say that it gives meaning to my life. Meaning and purpose beyond just mere survival. For me to see and understand where I have come from and the great sacrifice that others have made to provide me with the state of consciousness I have been given, is humbling but also emboldening, inspiring me to participate in the grand process of evolution to the best of my ability. I feel my life would be empty and meaningless otherwise. This creation story also provides a plan on how evolution works and how I fit into that plan and can best participate.
      As far as struggling with the revelations of Rudolf Steiner, I have found in my life long study of spirit that Anthroposophy is the most direct, comprehensive and timely way towards meaning and purpose. Part of the difficulty is that it is contrary to the widely accepted ways of being in the world at present time, but also, because it comes out of a stream of beings and forces that have an agenda that, to me, partially run counter to the best path forward. That does not negate the truth, beauty, and genius it does embody. That stream, again to me, is why what is revealed is often expressed in a cold intellectual manner that can be difficult to absorb. That, at present, is my truth. If the path speaks to your needs in life, follow it. But proceed with caution and find your own truth within it. I believe Rudolf Steiner would ask nothing more.

bobfromreno
      Participant

According to my understanding of Steiner, we don’t!
      Each of us including heir Steiner follows their own unique individual path to consciousness. How we navigate that path is up to each one of us. Anthroposophy is a language that helps a group of humans to describe who and why they are here.
      Each of us are in our own personal freedom to choose the language tha helps us define our souls and understand the greater mysteries of consciousness. Steiner offered his “clairvoyant “ insights as an aid to those on a similar path with similar insights just as I offer this insight to you.
      Suffering is a choice, higher consciousness happens.
      Welcome to the struggle

william
      Participant

I just realized the disconnect. I joined the Thursday webinar because Harald said it would help us better understand biodynamics, I should have said Why does a human trying to grow a better garden need to know this? ETC

danieljmiller
      Participant

Perhaps because it takes working with the entire universe to grow a better garden.

Cynthia
      Keymaster

Having read through the biodyanmic lectures with Harald many times, I know that it rests upon a whole thought structure that describes the living-ness of substances, the relationship between earthly and cosmic forces, a different way of understanding the elements (CONH) and so on. The Agriculture lectures are so dense that it is easy to get lost in them: this course is like a roadmap that shows what Steiner is referencing in all of his statements. True: it doesn’t tell you how to build your compost pile or when to plant your seeds, but it is hugely interesting to see the big picture when trying to understand why it makes sense to do all the amazing things we do in BD.
      On the other hand———there are a whole lot of BD farmers who don’t go this deeply into the subject, and still grow fabulous food and make wonderful farms. Hats off to every one of them!!

Larry
      Participant

I often think of these poems from Rumi when I berate myself for not studying spiritual texts as much as I think I should..

Today, like every other day, we wake up empty
      and frightened. Don’t open the door to the study
      and begin reading. Take down a musical instrument.
      Let the beauty we love be what we do.
      There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.
      ——-
      Keep walking, though there’s no place to get to.
      Don’t try to see through the distances.
      That’s not for human beings. Move within,
      But don’t move the way fear makes you move.

In other words, try to see the spiritual in everyday life. If a framework to put everything in is useful, then go for it. I personally find the big picture useful, but I don’t need to know all the details.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.